Christening is once-in-a-lifetime event that cannot be repeated and every parent wants to throw a great party for his or her baby. This is a wonderful way to get the whole family together and to celebrate the new arrival. The christening is also the fisrt step if you want your child to be brought up as Christian. Being a member of a church could also help your child get a place at an excellent local church school further down the line.
If you are unsure about the christening, due to the fact that it calls for your child to believe in Jesus and to repend any sins and you are not able to make promises on his behalf, then you should talk to friends who have gone down either route and seek advice from your local church.
Once you have decided to have a christening, you should talk to your local vicar and together, you will decide the ceremony details and the exact date. The local vicar will want to know the names of the godparents, so, at that moment, you must have chosen them.
Traditionally, both girls and boys wear a long white or cream christening gown. At the church, everyone will gather around the font, with the parents and the godparents at the font. A service sheet will be handed out with the words the godparents need to say, usually printed in bold. The whole christening should only take 20-30 minutes.
Very important: Do not forget that even in summer churches can be pretty cold, so make sure your baby is warmly dressed. It may also be wise to take a spare set of clothes in case of an accident.
After the christening service, it is usual for the parents of the newly christened baby to host an informal party for the guests. To make sure that your party guests have a good time, you should follow these guideline:
1) Choose a venue close to church, this may be a restaurant, a hotel, a village hall, function room or your own home.
2) On the time of the day depends the nature of the party: for instance, after a morning service, a buffet or family lunch is best, but after an afternoon service, a tea would suit perfectly.
3) When decorating for the christening, make sure you have a theme in mind for the day and complete it by using themed party supplies. You have the opportunity to choose from a wide product range from which you can mix and match the tableware, plasticware and accessories. You can also pick different designs of the same color or you can try supplies of the same design, but different colors and the guests will enjoy choosing the colors they love.
4) You also should not forget to invite Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, known collectively as the Three Good Faires. Maybe you are wondering why you cannot forget them, but the reason is simple: each fairy will bring a special, unique gift to your child. Flora will grant to your child the gift of beauty, Fauna will grant the gift of song and Merryweather will grant the gift of endless protection.
5) It is usual to serve soft drinks at the party (for example, tea, juice, coffee) as well as alcohol (champagne, wine, beer) and , traditionally, the godfather makes a toast.
6) The highlight of the christening celebration is usually the moment when the christening cake is cut. At this moment, it is an opportunity for the new parents to address their families and friends directly and with less reserve than was possible in the formal religious ceremony.
7) If there are lots of children, then it is important to provide some kind of entertainment or a separate area for them where you should set out a few toys.
8) Do not forget that many guests will bring presents along with them, so have a secure area arranged where they can be left.
9) Do not forget to ask the priest to the party.
10) You also should have in mind that a christening is not the place for a party with loud music and too much alcohol, so, pay attention to detail.
Do not forget that christenings are all about the joy of children and family!