Having had a strange obsession with finding the best possible diaper bag and having purchased way too many, I finally have figured the "essential features" needed to make the perfect diaper bag.
P.S. Now I am headed to e-bay to sell the 100 bags that I have bought in the past to recoup some of my hard earned money! LOL!
1. Size: You will need to carry diapers, wipes, snacks, ointment, burp clothes, and other misc. items. so it should be a decent size - don't make the mistake of going too small - you will just end up buying another bag - oh did i say snacks - you will learn to always carry food with you - especially if you have an older child too - they always need to eat.
2. Amount of pockets. Have many - or everything will fall to the bottom. Have a space for a wallet too - so you can take it out of your purse so you are not carrying 2 bags. I have personally found that it is easiest to have a larger wallet for easy transfer from purse to Bag.
3. Long Strap - for hanging over the stroller. Some diaper bags come with stroller hangers - they are really nice - if the bag does not come with them you can purchase them separately. But REALLY make sure to get longer straps - don't be tempted for the cute shorter strapped bags.
4. Cleanability - SO important - They can get pretty discussing pretty quickly - so just get something that has a nice cleanable material. Kalencom has many cute and very cleanable diaper bags. BELIEVE me they get discussing! Spilled milk - cheerio's - other mushed stuff - oh and spilled juice smells like vinegar after a few days. And I mean cleanability both on the inside and outside.
5. Safety - if you are buying a diaper bag that has plastic in it, look for AZO free - it is more important to avoid then you think. There are many diaper bags that contain several harmful chemical and you would never know it.
6. Cute:i t has to match your style, naturally! Luckilly there is no shortage of cute styles to choose from
7. Cost: no need to spend enormous amounts - there are plenty of bags under $100.00 that are great.
8. Versatility too - if you work, nice to have one that can carry all of the baby stuff, and some files for work. We call them hybrid diaper bags.
9. Weight - Don't get anything too heavy - leather is so nice but way too heavy!
10. Outside pockets - trust me, you will want them for keys, cell phones etc.
Happy Diaper Bag shopping!
Oh - and to satisfy my obsession I have a great selection of Diaper Bags at my baby boutique and maternity boutiques: www.HarperGraceBaby.com www.HarperGraceMaternity.com and soon to come www.HarperGraceOrganics.com