When I first started using social media, Facebook came easy. It is pretty self explanatory and easy to network with others with like interests. Twitter came next and although it looked confusing and overwhelming at first, once you dive in, it really is easy. StumbleUpon is one that I looked at several times and just could not seem to be able to figure out how to use it to its highest benefit. I kind of gave up on it at first until person after person continued to tell me that some of their highest traffic sources was from StumbleUpon. Now that I finally have it figured out(I think),I wanted to share with all of you how it works.
- Sign up for a StumbleUpon account and create a complete profile
- Download the StumbleUpon toolbar or use the in-site toolbar
- When on a site you like give it a thumbs up and review it if it is the first time it has been stumbled. This is referred to as a “discover”.
- Remember that the more you use StumbleUpon the more it learns about what content you like and don’t like and can offer you better suggestions for sites to stumble
- Find friends to add to your network that share the same interests as you, i.e. other business women, bloggers, etc. You can search stumblers by topic in order to find people with similar interests.
- Constantly submitting your own site or pages will get you banned. Stumble pages of others you are following and other pages of interest and you can get away with stumbling a post of your own every once in a while as well.
- Share a link of yours through the toolbar and others may choose to stumble it
- The more your page is “liked” the more it will get added in to the pages users stumble which will then probably get you more likes
Again, I am new at this whole StumbleUpon thing so I am ready and willing to listen to other “stumbling” advice from users who have been using it longer than I have.