Wonderful Wednesday - when it comes to work it is wonderful to show up like a grown up.
Each wonderful Wednesday throughout the month of January will be dedicated to new ways of looking at work. Last week, was about being grateful to have work
. In future weeks we will look at:
- It's work, don't play around
- Respect those in authority
- Keep work off your private social media
This week we are focusing on the idea of showing up like a grown up at work.
A basic reality of life is that many of us must work for a living. Some of us work for others and some of us work for for ourselves. No matter which is the case, the fact remains that we must work to earn a living. When you must work for a living it is important for you to show up like a grown up. Grown ups are responsible, mature and able to handle the responsibilities of work. Look at the following differences between children at work and grown ups at work:
Children at work
- show up just before work starts or late
- play around all day
- refuse to accept any extra assignments
- counter-productive in team tasks
- treat work as if it is a playground
Adults at work
- show up at work station at least 15 minutes before start time
- work throughout the day
- accept extra assignments within reason
- are a valuable part of team assignments
- treat work as if what is being done is important
The economy is improving and in many industries, finding a job is easier today than it has been for quite a while. That does not change the fact that if you want to remain gainfully employed or want to continue operating a successful business, you must, without exception, show up like a grown up everyday and actually work at work. So, the question for you this wonderful Wednesday is what are your tips for showing up like a grown up at work?