When you write a post. Who are you talking to? Do you assume Family will see your blog, close 'real' friends, or just plain...the whole world? And do you change your writing style when/if you know your spouse is reading your blog??

Is it all just for yourself? Comments be damned? (Yeah right..., me neither!)

And just how will you get all that content out of there 'for posterity'? I keep wondering that? If some part of what I do is for my kids and my kids' kids, will they even care!?

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

Depending on the post, I kind of always have a different individual in my mind as I write--a neighbor, my boss, my husband, a relative, an old friend, a new friend--but with zero regard as to whether that particular person will read and how he or she would react. It's just sort of a trick I use to find my voice, which, depending on my secret audience, varies from snarky to intellectual to humorous to self-deprecating to all of the above.
Carissa,
These are excellent quesitons. Audience. Who's yours? I write for my own sake, but I tend to remember that I'm writing to the world too. That means I do have to pull punches at times - there are topics I may choose not to even broach on my page. But there will be plenty of times when I just have to stand up for my beliefs and opinions, regardless. Thanks for this good thinking! Martha
Carissa,
These are excellent quesitons. Audience. Who's yours? I write for my own sake, but I tend to remember that I'm writing to the world too. That means I do have to pull punches at times - there are topics I may choose not to even broach on my page. But there will be plenty of times when I just have to stand up for my beliefs and opinions, regardless. Thanks for this good thinking! Martha
When I write a post, I am writing for strangers. It's easier, more freeing. When I began blogging, I started on Myspace and only friended people I did NOT know. Then when I got my own domain and invited my family and friends to read, it felt like a straight jacket had been put on me in my sleep and one hand was tied around my back, not to mention the duct tape on my mouth.

I couldn't find my voice. I was doing the "Who do you want me to be?" dance. It is much more liberating to write for my own amusement and for strangers' amusement. That's my audience when I write. If I start to think mid sentence "What is my husband going to think" or "What's my mom going to think" the stories will lose their authenticity. So I write about my husband breathing too loudly when he sleeps and I write about being raised Catholic. I just don't write about my sex life or certain subjects that would embarrass my family. And I don't write about exactly how developmentally delayed my child was in certain areas because other moms in my town who are reading this...who knows what they will repeat and it what context. "Yea, well her son didn't learn to tie his shoes until he was in sixth grade!" I am protective of my children while I share a lot of stories about them that are very representational of what goes on in our home, which is not what's being said in other peoples' homes. We are a little more open and free to express our opinions about topics that are just not openly discussed in my friends' homes. I'm not going to pretend in my writing to write for what they can handle hearing.

I have had readers tell me it's when the story gets really personal that they love it. It's hard to be personal with an audience of people I only casually know -- i.e., we met at a school function, where everyone is pretending to be perfect parents. So when I get personal, I try to make sure I have written it really well. No one is getting out of here with a dry eye!
Fot the moment I use my blog for my business, so I try not to give too many personal details. I write for moms and mostly about self-developement and parenthood. Most of the time I like to write about things that send a message to people.
I write as if I were thinking out loud. I guess I'm writing for mostly for myself. It is always a bonus to get feedback on my posts and read that other women have can relate to my subject.

RSS

Want access to the biggest entertainment events of the season, with exclusive prices of up to 60% off & 3% cash back? With Live Ticket Events on TrendBrew, the hottest events across the country, including theater, sports, concerts and more, are available to you at the touch of a fingertip. And like no other site, you also receive 3% cash back on every purchase. Experience the best live entertainment has to offer at the best prices!

LEARNING CORNER

© 2018   Created by Mom Bloggers Club.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service