Summer is in full swing and Independence Day is quickly approaching, which for many means getting ready to host a celebration for family and friends. With a few easy steps, you can make your barbeque the best – and best for you. The health experts at Envolve, an integrated healthcare solutions company, are pleased to share tips to help you host a healthy and safe backyard cookout.
1. Fresh Fare. Lighten up your options by adding some fresh, healthy choices alongside the traditional classics. Grilled or roasted eggplant slices, sweet potato slices, or Portobello mushrooms can make a great addition to your burgers – or even replace the meat if you want. Consider offering lettuce in addition to buns for a low-calorie, low-carb bread replacement. Instead of coating your veggies in a mayo-based sauce, try some colorful grilled kabobs with bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and squash. For dessert, top a mix of fresh strawberries and blueberries with a dollop of low-fat sour cream and sprinkle of brown sugar for a patriotic red, white, and blue treat.
2. Sustain Shade. There is nothing better than enjoying the outdoors with friends and family, but too much sun can put a damper on things. To maximize your outdoor space, provide your guests with plenty of shaded spots and sunscreen to keep them safe from heat and sun. Need to refresh further? Turn on a sprinkler or have a water balloon fight. Not only will you get some relief, you’ll have some great laughs too! For young, old, or anyone in between, if they look like they are getting too much sun or heat, encourage guests to step into an air conditioned space.
3. Have H2O. Hydration is key to staying healthy – in summer or any time. Bring the red, white, and blue theme to life by offering blueberry and strawberry-infused water stations. Looking for a creative way to beat the heat? Make watermelon ice pops to cool down. Since watermelon is 92% water, it’s a great, natural way to boost hydration.
4. Amusing Activity. Introduce games at your barbecue by setting up fun competitions. Split your guests into two teams to compete in a sack race, three-legged race, or relay race. Everyone will win an exciting workout. Engage mind and body in a scavenger hunt with a prize for the winner. Want to push the party to the next level? Try capture the flag or volleyball to really boost your heart rate.
5. Celebrate Safely. An integral part of Independence Day for many is the enjoyment of a firework show. If you do interact with fireworks this year, keep a fire extinguisher and hose close by and remind kids to use fireworks on concrete and point sparklers away from themselves and others. As an added precaution, make a bucket of water available and toss used sparklers in. Set up your “audience” far enough away from the display zone to prevent contact with fireworks that may malfunction. Many towns and neighborhoods don’t allow fireworks, so check the rules before you light up. The easiest way to enjoy a spectacle of lights? Attend a local firework display in your community to save money and stay safe.
About Envolve, Inc.®
Envolve, Inc.® is a family of health solutions, working together to make healthcare simpler, more effective and more accessible for everyone. As an agent for change in healthcare, Envolve is committed to transforming the health of the community, one person at a time. Envolve unifies specialty pharmacy, PBM, vision, dental, 24/7 nurse advice services, diabetes management, MSO solutions, and more. For more information, please visit our website www.envolvehealth.com