I’m here to tell you, most of you won’t make a sizable amount of money from your blog. That’s pretty standard across the board for all bloggers although there are certainly exceptions. Unless you have tons of traffic, banner advertising and sponsored campaigns really won’t cut it. However, the factor that sets some mom bloggers apart is they have used their blogs as a springboard to opportunities that pay.
If you are looking to earn money as a mom blogger you need to turn your monetization efforts from your blog and instead look for other opportunities where you can earn a steady income or earn income on a project-by-project basis. Here are some tips to get your ideas flowing.
1. Build Your Knowledge Base: The more you know the more valuable you will be to companies that want to reach mom bloggers. Although it seems every company in the world has already marketed to our community, you’d be surprised how many are just starting to realize how valuable our voices are.
If you position yourself as someone who not only understands our community, but also understands the dynamics of our community and what ultimately makes us tick, companies may hire you to share your expertise with them. If you have a PR or marketing background this is an avenue you could easily pursue.
2. Go Local: So many of us see the huge brands with big dollars invested in marketing to mom bloggers that we forget there are companies in our local areas that would love to get in on the action, too. Some small businesses haven’t figured out how to start a blog or why they’re even vitally important. This is where you come in. You can become a consultant to several local businesses to help them develop their online presence and teach them how to work with bloggers to spread their brand message online and in their local community.
3. Position Yourself As a Social Networking Strategist: If you are on Twitter and Facebook all day long and know every tip and trick in the book about both platforms, then you could seriously become a social media consultant or strategist.
Brands may hire you to manage their social media sites on a daily basis or they may engage your expertise to give them direction in how to set up their social media profiles and successfully navigate the social media waters. Again, even though social networking is easy for most of us, some brands still don’t have a clue how to properly use Twitter or Facebook and could use your valuable knowledge to teach them.
4. Define Your Niche: Oftentimes it is easier to be recognized by potential clients when you are a leader in your niche. For example, if you are vegan and you blog about everything vegan then it is far easier to become an online marketing consultant to companies who sell vegan products. As a leader in your niche you will be able to help companies extend their marketing into the online world because you live it and blog about it every day. Use your blog as an opportunity to figure out what you love blogging about most and then figure out ways to hone in on your niche and become a leader in it.
5. Become a Spokesperson: Becoming a leader in your niche also allows you to become the public face of campaigns. You may be able to turn your blogging prowess into a yearly spokesperson position.
6. Blog Professionally: Penning an excellent personal blog sometimes affords you the opportunity to blog for pay for others. Some mom bloggers use their blogging prowess to create authentic content for company sites. This is a great way to earn an income and spread your influence.
7. Become a Techie: If you know the backend of content management systems from Wordpress to Joomla you could become a web site director for web sites. You would be responsible for maintaining a company’s site, uploading photos, adding content and generally making sure the site is current and in tiptop shape.
Take the opportunity to learn various content management systems in your free time. You never know when what you have learned on your own can land you a job.
8. Develop a Design Sense: Designing blogs can become a lucrative business for you or, at least a way for you to supplement your household income. Someone is always looking for a great designer, and if you can fill a portfolio with wonderful designs and satisfied customers, you will be well on your way to earning a consistent income.
9. Cater to New Mom Bloggers: Who knows how many new mom bloggers enter our fold every day. But because of the success we’re experiencing, moms are starting new blogs every day and don’t understand what they’re doing. You can become a consultant to women who need help getting started and then also be available down the road if they have any questions or want to revamp their online image or change the blog's direction.
You need to be a member of Mom Bloggers Club to add comments!
Join Mom Bloggers Club