Life is great, your career is golden and best of all, you’re single! Well, maybe that last part is what you want to change, but you must start dating first to make those changes. It’s never easy entering or living on the dating scene for anyone and can be especially overwhelming for women. No one expects you to be a pro at dating but there are a few tips to help make it easier for you in the long run. Consider these tips and experience the positive changes that may take place in your dating life.
- Stop Comparing. Your old relationship didn’t work for a reason and it is never a good idea to compare the new one with the old. Don’t look for qualities that your ex-boyfriend had in your newest love interest because doing so could easily lead you to match up with the same old issues. Seek those qualities that you wish to have in an ideal mate.
- Stop Overthinking. As a single woman, it is easy to overthink things when trying to figure out why you are the only one in your circle of friends that haven’t found a love interest. Do not give in to the frustration or you could find that you will settle for someone that is not your perfect mate.
- Don’t freak out but, let him be the one in control. Agreeing to let the man take care of you from time to time does not mean you are no longer the independent woman you worked so hard to become. Guys feel more like a man when he feels that the woman truly needs him in life. As someone very independent, I learned how to grasp this concept. Something as simple as having him open a peanut butter jar (even if you can) is an example.
- Don’t force it. If you can tell that the relationship is going absolutely nowhere or simply not working, leave it alone! Don’t waste your time trying to salvage something that will likely end in a few months or longer because you can never get that time back.
- Keep a positive attitude. Remember that being single is not a disease and it is okay to take your time finding the perfect person for you. There is no need to feel rushed or depressed because you haven’t found that special someone. Stay positive and live life out loud but remember, just as you’re waiting for him, he’s out there somewhere looking for you.
- Be true to yourself. You are who you are and you want to make certain that your ideal mate falls in love with who you really are. Don’t pretend to be the girl that you think the guy wants but instead, be the girl that only you can be. Flaws are often the features that make the bond stronger.
- Leave the checklist at home. That list that you created years ago probably needs to go in the recycle bin. People are not projects and you simply cannot build the perfect guy but taking the time to invest in quality conversation and getting to know a variety of types can help you to realize that your type is not what you thought it was after all.
- Always remember that you are a prize. Whether you think you are unattractive, quirky, shy, etc. know that the right person for you will accept all that you are and instead of thinking of your flaws, focus only on your strengths. Any guy would be lucky to have you. Never forget that!
The biggest tip of all actually starts and ends this bit of advice, HAVE FUN!
Originally posted on Midlife Single Mommy 1/3/18
Photo credit: Copyright: stuartphoto / 123RF Stock Photo