Don’t you hate it when you run the grocery store, bolting out of the house just as you are, in mom mode: hair frazzled, clothes askew, and no makeup on. Of course, Murphy’s Law kicks in and you run into your boss, ex-boy-friend or arch nemesis from that group of perfect/pretty moms.
More often than not, I find myself underdressed and less made up than I was before kids, and even though I wouldn’t change a second of my mom life… I do kinda wish I didn’t always look like my life was only about being a mom.
Author Tammy Gibson has some great ideas on how to go from frumpy to fabulous in 12 easy steps. Here is her inspiring article from everythingmom.com.
Beauty is difficult to define because it is so subjective. Each woman is created so uniquely that we should not try to conform to society’s ideal of what beauty is. All women have the opportunity to look and feel good about their appearance regardless of her dress size, hair texture or facial features. To look beautiful, discover and accentuate your best features. It does take effort and commitment. Is it worth the effort? Absolutely. Taking care of your appearance will not only help you look better, it will help you feel better about yourself too! How you look affects how you think of yourself and how you relate with other people.
Here are some things you can do everyday to help you look your best:
1. Get a good haircut that fits your lifestyle! If you need a wash and wear style, tell your hairdresser. If you have curly hair and want a style that is straight, don’t get it done unless you are 100% committed to using your blow-dryer daily! Remember, embrace your uniqueness.
2. Have good hygiene. Pretty basic, but if you don’t wash your face every night before bed, you will have breakouts! If you don’t take care of your teeth, your smile will not be brilliant!
3. Exfoliate. The number one thing a woman can do to make her skin look and feel better is to exfoliate! Skin naturally sheds it’s outer layer but the resulting build-up can leave skin dull and flaky. The build-up clogs pores, leaving blackheads for you to battle with. Exfoliating 3-5 times a week will help prevent breakouts and will rid you of flakes, revealing healthier looking skin. Here’s a Hot Tip: Exfoliating your legs before shaving will leave you with a super silky shave!
4. Apply make-up. A good make-up routine does not take more than 5 minutes! If you really can’t spare 5 minutes, at least apply a good moisturizer with SPF, lip gloss and mascara.
5. Dress in style. It really is just as easy to pull on a great fitting pair of jeans, a cute fitted tee and stylish flats as it is to pull on a pair of sweats, baggy tee and tennis shoes! You’ll look and feel more put together by simply putting a moment’s thought into what you put on.
6. Accessorize. Accessories are the cheapest way to update your wardrobe. A great pair of earrings will draw attention upward to your face; a fashionable belt, shoes or great handbag can add style to any outfit; sunglasses can hide dark under eye circles and a stylish hat is great for bad hair days (We all have them, even with a great cut!)!
7. Own a pair of Red High Heels. For an evening out with your man, nothing is sexier than a great pair of red high heels! Black heels are fine, but RED heels are great! They give you a feeling of confidence and sexiness like nothing else! Your man will be thrilled to be seen with a Hot Mama in red heels!
8. Exercise. It really is true that exercise makes you look and feel better! Exercise does not have to be expensive or time consuming. Taking a walk, pushing the baby stroller or walking the stairs rather than taking the elevator can be very beneficial for your health and mood!
9. Fix yourself up for your man! If you have been home all day with the kids, put on a clean shirt, spritz on a body spray, run a brush through your hair and slick on some gloss! If you have been at work all day, freshen up before leaving work. Apply some lipstick, straighten your hair, and put a smile on. Men are what they are. They enjoy a pretty face so why not make the effort to freshen up for the man you love? He will appreciate your efforts!
10. Dump the Flannel. Yes, it keeps you warm but so can your man. Invest in some sexy jammies. You don’t have to wear silk lingerie every night but throw out the frumpy flannel and sex it up a little. Nothing promotes romance like a little skin!
11. Smile! Even when you don’t feel like putting a smile on, do it. It is contagious. When you smile, the world smiles back and you will be wearing a genuine smile in no time! Few things are more attractive than a great smile!
12. Have confidence. Nothing is sexier than a woman with confidence.
Every woman is beautiful but looking your best does take some effort. There are many resources available on how to dress for your body type, what hairstyle best suits your face shape, how to apply make-up for your skin type and facial features, and how to care for your body through diet and exercise.
Take the extra minutes to care for your appearance and give yourself the chance to look your best. When you look great, you feel great! Trust me, your husband will notice your extra effort and a new energy will be felt in your relationship with him!
Standing on my Soapbox,
Soapbox Mama www.soapboxmama.com
About the Author
Tammy Gibson is the proud owner of A Mom In Red High Heels.com, an online beauty & fashion guide helping moms to live life in style! She has been happily married since 1995 to Larry. Together they have 2 children, Nicholas and Montana (named after football great, Joe Montana). Tammy lives by the Latin saying “Aude Aliquid Dignum” (Dare Something Worthy). She says nothing is more worthy and daring than being home with her 2 children and being a successful Mompreneur. Tammy enjoys helping moms maintain their sense of style after having kids. She is also available for business consulting, personal coaching and speaking engagements