From time to time we go through our membership rolls. Sadly many mom blogs have been abandoned. We noticed that posts trailed off as if the moms had every intention of coming back to write, but life got in the way.
For us, seeing these neglected blogs is sad because we don’t know what happened to these mom bloggers. Some of them may have fallen victim to the hyper-fast environment of social media and oversharing and decided it was far too much. Others may have decided to call it quits once the brands came. Some may have moved on to professional writing gigs. Some may have started new blogs that we and others have no idea about. Others may solely live their online life on Twitter or Facebook. Sometimes moms make their blogs private.
That brings us to this question for you: How long will your blog last?
If you want to endure you’ll need to do a few things:
1) Rethink Blogger: We hate uttering that because many of us old-timers started on Blogger. The truth is you will be limited in the creative use of your Blogger blog. We love WordPress, SquareSpace, and Tumblr because of the many options you have from templates to plugins. And, it is very easy to move your files from Blogger to another blog platform. Simple!
*If you design blogs and can help bloggers move their files, feel free to leave your information in the comments!*
2) Buy a Domain: You will never feel really at home until you have your own .com or .net. It’s so much easier to ditch a blog that doesn’t have a domain. Buying a domain is a little assurance to yourself that you’re serious about this blogging thing.
3) Invest in Your Blog Design: The more you invest in your blog from a domain name to a profession design the harder it is to just forget it and stop blogging altogether. If you are serious about blogging, treat it as a serious endeavor.
4) Make friends: We can’t stress this enough: Never blog alone! Make friends here, on Twitter or by commenting often on other mom blogs. Create a community around you so that when you have failed to post in two weeks your friends can DM and ask where the heck you are! Also, consider going to the blogging conferences and make friends there if it’s easier for you. There are tons of different conferences now that are hosted all over the country. Attend one!
5) Be creative: Being creative means coming up with new content ideas and ways of expressing yourself. Readers always appreciate someone who isn’t pushing out trite content day after day. The more creative you are the more people will miss you if/when you take a mini-break. Can you imagine some of your favorite mom bloggers going anywhere without a deafening uproar? I didn’t think do.
6) Check Your Intentions: Whether you decide to blog for ten more years or ten more days, it all goes back to your intentions. If you don’t feel happy blogging, then by all means, move on! Don’t torture yourself with some sort of false obligation to keep going. But if you plan to be around a while, by all means go all out!
7. Advertise Your Blog: Some bloggers want to go the organic route to spread the word about their blog. Others like to throw money at advertising their blog. If you go this route make sure to be really deliberate about your advertising by tapping into your roas calculation. It will tell you how effective your ad campaign is. It takes a little leg work in terms of doing the math, but it's worth it.