I just got back from walking my dog and felt compelled to write to all of you. I have a friend whose friend just lost her beautiful 17-year-old son this week. Another friend is caring for her friend as she gets ready to depart our world. And yet another friend is going through a difficult divorce. And that is only in my small circle. There is so much pain and suffering in this world that it can destroy us - if we allow it to.
But I will not allow it to. There is an antidote to all of this...
As I walked the path through my neighborhood, I felt overwhelmed with gratitude.
- Gratitude for the wonderful words of support and encouragement on the release of my book yesterday.
- Gratitude for the sense of touch that allows me to feel the warmth of the sun today.
- Gratitude for ears that work so I can hear all the beautiful sounds of this world.
- Gratitude for my vision so that I can see all the beauty in this world.
- Gratitude for legs that are strong and healthy and carry me where I want to go.
- And gratitude for a faithful canine companion who never turns down my offer to take him for a walk.
- Gratitude that the school year has started out smoothly for each of my children.
- Gratitude for a healthy happy relationship with my husband.
- And gratitude for a healthy happy relationship with myself.
More and more I am convinced of gratitude's power. Its power to protect us from suffering and its power to bring us peace and comfort and it's power to help us see all that is good in this world.
What are you grateful for today?